Periodontics from the Roots Up!
*Discounted fee based upon purchase of vacation package. If purchased separately, please add $400 to the above fees.
ABOUT THE SEMINAR
The practice of periodontics is guided heavily by research and an evidence-based approach. With old and new information being plentiful in our digital age, it can be overwhelming for practitioners to remain up-to-date on the current evidence and how it translates into practical treatment approaches. This seminar utilizes the foundation of periodontics, as supported by evidence, to highlight practical clinical approaches to achieving clinical success for our patients in an array of periodontal procedures.
Clear and accurate communication between surgical and restorative dental professionals is essential in achieving clinical success, especially in the case of complex dental treatment plans that require a multi-disciplinary approach. Highlighting specific case examples, the seminar will discuss treatment planning and the evidence-supported surgical steps in providing a sound foundation for restoration- from a single crown to full arch prosthesis.
Dental implants provide us with an excellent foundation option for rehabilitation cases; however, the common occurrence of peri-implant disease and the financial burden of managing it can often erode patient trust. Recognizing risk factors for peri-implant disease and creating a management protocol in your office is crucial from the very beginning of implant therapy; this seminar will discuss this in detail. Lastly, this seminar will showcase clinical cases that highlight both conservative and surgical approaches to the management of peri-implantitis.
- Diagnosis and classification
- Periodontal disease – recognizing disease severity and when to manage in-house vs. referral to a specialist
- Peri-implant disease – Early recognition allows for more predictable treatment outcomes
- Periodontal assessments:
- Pre-orthodontics – when do we do soft tissue grafting? Can periodontitis patients have orthodontic therapy?
- Pre-implant – Hard and soft tissue assessment
- Alveolar Bone Preservation
- Indications – When and why?
- Techniques- How?
- Materials review
- Single unit and full arch surgical planning
- Space assessment and treatment planning
- Etiology and classification
- Surgical management to salvage diseased implants
- To update evidence-based literature in the field of periodontics as it applies to clinical private practice
- To refresh periodontal diagnosis and classifications (AAP 2018) to better understand disease progression and severity
- Elaborate on the diagnosis and classification of peri-implant diseases
- Understand the management of periodontal emergencies in the dental office
- To recognize and implement preventative periodontal therapies to stabilize disease progression
- Indications for soft tissue grafting and flap surgeries for pocket reduction
- To understand rehabilitation concepts – from a single tooth to full arch – Surgical perspectives
- To gain foundation knowledge in the management of extraction sockets prior to dental implant therapy
- The What, The When, and The How of Socket Preservation
- Management of peri-implant disease
- When can implants be saved and what techniques to save them?
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Aditya Patel, HBSc, DDS, MPerio, FRCD(C) is a certified specialist in Periodontics and is a registered Fellow at the Royal College of Dentists of Canada. In 2012, Dr. Patel graduated from the Doctor of Dental Surgery program at the University of Toronto. Following graduation, Dr. Patel enrolled in the Masters of Periodontics program at Dalhousie. During his residency, he became well-versed in providing care in all aspects of periodontic specialty treatment and dental implantology.
He shares a special interest in periodontal tissue regeneration, advanced bone grafting, and CBCT-guided implant therapies. Following graduation, he immediately became a part-time clinical instructor at the Faculty of Dentistry, and he continues to teach in fourth-year DDS clinics as well as supervises Graduate Periodontics residents.
Dr. Patel is the President of the Canadian Academy of Periodontology (2022-2023) and an International member of the American Academy of Periodontology. He is also co-director of the local study club called Perio By The Ocean that organizes periodontal-related hands-on workshops.
Dr. Patel currently works in private practice in Halifax, Dartmouth, Truro, and Sydney, Nova Scotia. A dedicated, caring professional, Dr. Patel is a family man who enjoys spending time with his family and in his free time plays in recreational sports leagues around Halifax.
|Oral and maxillofacial surgery